Overview: The Plains Indian Museum tells the significant story of the lives of the Plains Indian people, there culture, traditions, values, and histories, as well as the contexts of their lives today. The Center is eager to expand this story to the pre-history of the early Native inhabitants of this area. This internship is designed for an undergraduate/graduate student with a strong background in the archaeology of Plains Indian cultures. This individual will have the opportunity to create a semi-permanent archaeological exhibit in the Plains Indian Museum lower Resource Center gallery, using the Center’s archaeological collections representative of this area’s prehistoric Native cultures.
Level of Responsibility: Reports to Plains Indian Museum curator and coordinates with Exhibitions Manager and Museum Services staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the Interpretive Education Department and Plains Indian Museum Curatorial staff to develop the interpretive focus and educational components for the exhibition.
- Identify and research the archaeological materials to create an object list of the exhibition.
- Draft interpretive exhibition panels, object labels, and related graphic elements.
- Assist in design and installations of exhibition with the Curatorial and Museum Services staff.
- May be assigned to additional curatorial tasks/exhibitions prep related to the project.
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate course work in archaeology.
- Knowledge of Plains Indian pre-history and culture combined with the ability to identify Plains cultural objects and affiliation such as lithics, ceramics, textiles, rock art, etc.
- Ability to inform visitors, many whom have no archaeological knowledge, through exhibition content and interpretive elements.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous experience with museum cataloging software is an asset.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- This position requires maturity and discretion.
Application deadline is March 17, 2017
Click link for internship application: Internship Application
Rebecca West, Curator, Plains Indian Museum