New Year’s Day
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West announces these holiday closures: closed to the public on Thanksgiving Day (this year on November 22). The Christmas Day (December 25) and New Year’s Day (January 1) holidays fall on our regularly closed-for-the-winter days.
Otherwise, our regular winter schedule, effective from December 1 – February 28, is:
- Open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday
- Closed Monday – Wednesday
Learn more about the Buffalo Bill Center of the West’s hours.
Holiday Open House
Celebrates the season with the Buffalo Bill Center of the West at our annual Holiday Open House, a day filled with festive decorations, Santa Claus, and entertainment.
The Holiday Open House is free, but families attending are encouraged to share the holiday spirit: we ask that you bring a non-perishable food item and place it in the collection box at our entrances. We will distribute the food donations through Cody food pantries.
Local and regional groups perform for the crowds at our Holiday Open House, with entertainment running simultaneously in two venues. The diverse programs offer something for everyone: music by choruses, carolers, honor choirs, jazz bands, and barbershop quartets; dance in styles from ballet to modern, clogging to tap. All our performers generously volunteer their time and talent.
Schedule for 2018 (subject to change)
- 10 a.m. – Sunset Honor Choir
- 10:30 a.m. – Livingston Elementary Choir
- 11 a.m. – Eastside Honor Choir
- 11:30 a.m. – Yellowstone Harmony Chorus
- Noon – Break
- 12:30 p.m. – Alphabell Music (vocal)
- 1 p.m. – Alphabell Music (instrumental)
- 1:30 p.m. – 40 Fabulous Finger
- 2 p.m. – 40 Fabulous Finger
- 2:30 p.m. – Lovell Recorder Quartet
- 3 p.m. – Sheets Family Music
- 3:30 p.m. – Sheets Family Music
- 4 p.m. – Sheets Family Music
John Bunker Sands Photography Gallery
- 10 a.m. – Cody High School Jazz Band
- 10:30 a.m. – Cody Middle School Mini Ensemble
- 11 a.m. – Cody Community Choir
- 11:30 a.m. – Break
- Noon – Cody Center for the Performing Arts
- 12:30 p.m. Break
- 1 p.m. – Victoria’s School of Dance
- 1:30 p.m. – Victoria’s School Dance
- 2 p.m. – Absaroka Mountain Thunder Cloggers
- 2:30 p.m. – Sunlight Martial Arts
- 3 p.m. – Break
- 3:30 p.m. – Rocky Mountain School of the Arts
- 4 p.m. – Rocky Mountain School of the Arts
Visit with Santa
Santa Claus considers the Buffalo Bill Center of the West a very important stop in his preparations for Christmas each year. Children (of all ages!) can visit with Santa at the Holiday Open House and tell him their wishes for the holiday season.
Draper Museum Raptor Experience
The birds of our Draper Museum Raptor Experience appear at the Holiday Open House as well! From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., find them and their “mobile perches”—their human handlers—in the John Bunker Sands Photography Gallery of the Draper Natural History Museum.
The Cody Reading Council is always on hand near Santa to read favorite Christmas and holiday stories, so don’t worry! If that line to Santa is long, there will be plenty to entertain the children while they wait.
Print a Bookmark
Our resident printer, Volunteer Mike Parker, helps visitors print their own souvenir bookmark. Find Mike next to William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody’s printing press in the Buffalo Bill Museum.
Our Museum Store
Enjoy a storewide holiday sale—30 to 75 percent off—during the Holiday Open House! With every $50 purchase, receive a free Crow Cradle poster!
Festive decorations not only greet visitors to the Holiday Open House, but through New Years to spread holiday cheer!
A sixteen-foot decorated Christmas tree graces the entrance to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West each year for the Holiday Open House.