720 Sheridan Ave
Cody, WY 82414
Recent Advances at High Elevation Symposium
9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
This symposium is free and there is no advanced registration required to attend. Co-hosted by our Draper Natural History Museum and Park County Historic Preservation Commission, Recent Advances at High Elevation presents topics all related to High Elevation Archaeology. Learn what is revealed by melting ice patches, as well as the extent that these high elevation places have been used over the past 10,000 years. The event takes place the day before the Wyoming Archaeological Society’s spring meeting in Cody May 5–7, 2017.
Click here to download a program flyer with the below schedule.
- 9–9:15 a.m. — Charles Preston: Welcome
- 9:15–9:30 a.m. — Robert Kelly: Why Do High Altitude Archaeology Now?
- 9:30–9:45 a.m. — Matthew A. Stirn and Rebecca A. Sgourous: Using Absorbed Lipid Residues to Reconstruct Past Alpine Diets
- 9:45–10 a.m. — Richard Adams and Matthew A. Stirn: BFF: Burro Flat Forays
- 10–10:15 a.m. — Todd Guenther, Morgan Robins, and Jordan Walter: Dinwoody Bison Jump: Recent Research on Communal Big Game Hunting in the High Alpine
- 10:15–10:45 a.m. — Break
- 10:45–11 a.m. — Craig Lee and Halcyon LaPoint: Archaeology of the Cryosphere in the Mid-Latitude Mountains of the Greater Yellowstone
- 11–11:15 a.m. — Paul C. Burnett and Lawrence Todd: Archaeological Probability Modeling in Wyoming’s High Altitudes
- 11:15–11:30 a.m. — Lawrence Todd: Artifacts to Landscapes: Multiscale Approaches to High Elevation Archaeology
- 11:30–11:45 a.m. — Martin Callanan: ‘Patches of old snow’: An Overview of Icepatch Archaeology in Scandinavia at Present
- 11:45 a.m.–1 p.m. — Lunch
- 1–1:15 p.m. — Bonnie Pitblado: Clovis Caches Speak…And Tell Us that People Used the Rockies Longer and More Intensively than We Thought
- 1:15–1:30 p.m. — Rachel Reckin: Prehistoric Patterns in the Absaroka/Beartooth Wilderness: The Waples Collection
- 1:30–1:45 p.m. — Spencer Pelton: Communal Hunting Facilities on the Colorado Front Range and Their Implications for Hunter-Gatherer Cooperative Behavior
- 1:45–2 p.m. — Randy Haas, Ioana Stefenescu, and Alex Garcia Putnam: Colonizing the Andean High Plains of South America