About the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Explore the saga that is the real West in our five, family-friendly museums: Draper Natural History Museum, Buffalo Bill Museum, Plains Indian Museum, Whitney Western Art Museum, and Cody Firearms Museum. Only the Buffalo Bill Center of the West—formerly the Buffalo Bill Historical Center—shares the epic stories of Yellowstone and the American West together in one place, for one price. That makes us uniquely qualified to tell the stories of the American West like no other museum can. With our galleries, exhibitions, programs, and kid-approved activities, your whole family is sure to exclaim, “I found my true West!”
The Center is located in the authentic western town of Cody, founded by our namesake, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody. We’re also located in the heart of the Greater Yellowstone region—just outside Yellowstone National Park’s East Gate. So we’re surrounded by the majesty of the Rockies and are privy to the history and myths of the Old West, the vibrant life of the New West, and the living cultures of Plains Indian peoples.
Come on, celebrate the spirit of the American West! Find your true West with us here at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. Plan your visit today!
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
The Award-Winning Center of the West
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is a recipient of the TripAdvisor “Certificate of Excellence” for 2013 and 2014. Thank you to the many folks who have enjoyed their visit here and said so on TripAdvisor!
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West maintains an overall rating of four or five of a possible five on the world’s largest travel website. We’re proud to say we are the top-rated attraction in Cody according to visitor reviews on TripAdvisor.
Other Center of the West awards:
- One of the “Top 10 Must-See Western Museums” by True West magazine.
- Bronze Award, “favorite museum for groups,” National Tour Association, 2012.
- Among Cowgirl Magazine’s 2012 Ten Favorite Western Art Museums.
- Voted best attraction in Cody in 2011 Park County Travel Council visitor profile survey.
- Second on GoNomad.com travel Web site’s list of The Top Ten Best Family Destinations for Learning Vacations.
- National Medal for Museum & Library Service, 2008, Institute of Museum & Library Service.
Don’t miss this additional information from the Center of the West: