About the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Explore the saga that is the real West in our five, family-friendly museums: Draper Natural History Museum, Buffalo Bill Museum, Plains Indian Museum, Whitney Western Art Museum, and Cody Firearms Museum. The Buffalo Bill Center of the West shares the epic stories of Yellowstone and the American West together in one place, for one price. Join us as we connect people to the stories of the American West through our galleries, exhibitions, programs, and kid-approved activities. Through your presence and participation in all we have to offer, you will find that this is your West!
The Center is located in the authentic western town of Cody, founded by our namesake, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody. We’re also located in the heart of the Greater Yellowstone region—just outside Yellowstone National Park’s East Gate. So we’re surrounded by the majesty of the Rockies and are privy to the history and myths of the Old West, the vibrant life of the New West, and the living cultures of Plains Indian peoples.
Come on, celebrate the spirit of the American West! Find your true West with us here at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. Plan your visit today!
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
For the media
If you are a member of the media looking for general Center of the West information and press images, please visit our Newsroom.
Click here for a Media Fact Sheet.
Click here for downloadable press images.
The Award-Winning Center of the West
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been a recipient of the TripAdvisor “Certificate of Excellence”—now the “Traveler’s Choice” award. Thank you to the many folks who have enjoyed their visit here and said so on TripAdvisor!
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West maintains an overall rating of five of a possible five on the world’s largest travel website. We’re proud to say we are the top-rated attraction in Cody according to visitor reviews on TripAdvisor.
Select Center of the West awards:
- True West magazine’s Readers Choice awards for 2019: Best Western Museum, Best American Indian Collection, Best Western Art Gallery, Best Western Collectibles Gallery, Best Western History Book Store
- True West magazine’s awards for 2018: Best Western Museum, Best American Indian Collections, Best Western Art Gallery
- True West magazine’s Top Western Museum for 2017.
- One of the “Top 10 Must-See Western Museums” by True West magazine.
- Bronze Award, “favorite museum for groups,” National Tour Association, 2012.
- Among Cowgirl Magazine’s 2012 Ten Favorite Western Art Museums.
- Voted best attraction in Cody in 2011 Park County Travel Council visitor profile survey.
- Second on GoNomad.com travel Web site’s list of The Top Ten Best Family Destinations for Learning Vacations.
- National Medal for Museum & Library Service, 2008, Institute of Museum & Library Service.