Cody Firearms Records Office
The Cody Firearms Museum Records Office has rare access to select serial number records from Winchester, Marlin, and L.C. Smith. See below for more information, serial number ranges, and a video about the services offered by the Firearms Records Office.
The Records Office provides individuals with information from the original factory records based on the model and serial number of the firearm in the form of factory letters or serial number searches.
To order your Factory Letter online, CLICK HERE.
To print out our Factory Letter Order Form and mail or fax it in, CLICK HERE.
If you need more information about factory letters and serial number searches, read on:
A video glance of what we do:
This video was produced in 2012. Contact the Records Office for current benefits and rates.
Available serial number ranges (click to view):
- Winchester Available Serial Number Ranges (PDF)
- Marlin and L.C. Smith Available Serial Number Ranges (PDF)
A factory letter is the official report on the information contained in the original company records which the museum holds. Letters are available to firearms museum members and non-members for a fee. Factory letters are on Winchester or Marlin letterhead and bear the seal of the Cody Firearms Museum.
Serial number searches contain the same information as factory letters, but are a quick, informal report rather than a formal document. A serial number search is an exclusive firearms member benefit which provides the data on a firearm by phone, fax, or e-mail within 24 hours of a request.
The data included in factory letters and serial number searches varies from firearm to firearm, but may contain the following information:
|Manufacturing dates||Stock and butt configuration|
|Barrel length and shape||Magazine length|
Contact the Records Specialist for more information:
CFM Records Office
Buffalo Bill Center of the West
720 Sheridan Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
To order your Factory Letter online, CLICK HERE.
To print out our Factory Letter Order Form to mail or fax back, CLICK HERE.
Questions? Call 307-578-4031.
According to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West’s Code of Ethics, under no circumstance may staff members appraise objects either as part of their normal daily duties or as an independent service.
Serial Number Application (SNA) Dates
You may have heard of the “Polishing Room Books.” We refer to the information in them as the Serial Number Application (SNA) ledgers. These ledgers record the dates serial numbers were applied to firearm components at the beginning of the manufacturing process. No configuration or customer information is recorded in these ledgers. The 1866, early 1873, 1876, and Hotchkiss serial number application dates are not currently available. For some models the SNA ledgers continue beyond the serial number ranges of the warehouse ledgers which contain configuration information. There are even SNA ledgers for models which have no other records. Click here for the list of Winchester Available Serial Number Ranges.
The SNA date, when available, is included with all member serial number searches and factory letters. If you purchased a factory letter after January 1, 2007, and would like to update the letter with the SNA, please return the original letter with a check for $15. We will confirm the factory letter data, add the SNA, and send an updated letter. Contact Records Office staff with questions.
Records Office Hours
Regular office hours are Monday–Thursday 8 a.m.–4 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
Do you receive our e-newsletter, the CFM Record? Take a look at our recent issues:
Upcoming extended weekend hours and gun show attendance (subject to change):
- October 20–22: Attending Texas Gun Collectors Association Show (Fort Worth, Texas)
- November 10–12: Attending Big Reno Show, Reno, Nevada; also covering Wanenmacher’s Tulsa Arms Show by phone
- January 18–21: Attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show
- January 23–26: Attending at SHOT Show in Las Vegas
- February 9–11: Attending at Dakota Territory Gun Collectors Show (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
- February 24: In the office 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. for National Gun Day (Louisville, Kentucky)
- March 16–18: Tentatively attending Maryland Arms Collectors Baltimore Show (Timonium, Maryland)
- March 24: In the office for Big Reno Show (Reno, Nevada)
- April 6–8: Tentatively at Wanenmacher’s Tulsa Arms Show (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
- April 22: In the office 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. for Texas Gun Collectors Show (Waco, Texas)
- May 18–20: Attending Colorado Gun Collectors Show (Denver); also covering Ohio Gun Collectors Show by phone
- July 12–15: Attending Winchester Arms Collectors Show in Cody, Wyoming); also covering Ohio Gun Collectors show by phone
- September 7–9: Attending Ohio Gun Collectors Show (Wilmington, Ohio)
Records Office schedule and hours subject to change; please call to confirm. Ask about our Factory Letter and Search pack sales available during gun shows!
Firearms Member Benefits
Buffalo Bill Center of the West firearms members receive free or discounted factory letters and serial number searches. Member benefit serial number searches and letters do not carry over from year to year. Prices of additional letters and searches are based on firearms membership commitment level. These special benefits are available only to firearms members of the Center of the West. Find out more!
WACA Member Special
Buffalo Bill Center of the West Firearms Members who are also Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) members may sign up to receive a 15-pack of free serial number searches. Contact the Records Office and give your WACA number to receive these additional benefits.
Not Winchester Arms Collectors Association member? Visit www.winchestercollector.org to learn more.