Winchester Factory Records
Winchester factory records cover manufacture from 1873 into the mid-20th century. Records availability and content varies throughout production. Find the full list of available Winchester models and serial number ranges here.
Early Winchesters (1873 – 1906)
Configuration records are available for most firearms manufactured between 1873 and approximately 1906 depending on the model. Configuration information may include caliber, barrel type, trigger type, and any special-order features. Customer data is rarely available for Winchesters. Serial number application date information will be included when available.
Factory letters on these firearms are $75 for individuals who are not Firearms Members of the Center. Learn more about firearms membership here.
Winchesters after 1906
Most Winchester records for firearms manufactured after 1906 to the end of the surviving records only contain dates of manufacture. These date-of-manufacture records are called Serial Number Application (SNA) records. SNA records are available for many of the earlier Winchesters and are automatically included in those serial number searches and factory letters.
Factory letters containing Winchester SNA dates only are $40 for non-members. Learn more about firearms membership here.
Find the full list of available Winchester models and serial number ranges here.
Winchester Model 21
Model 21 shotguns are the exception to the above Winchester records information. Model 21s were first manufactured in the early 1930s and we have final inspection records for the majority of Model 21s produced by Winchester. These records contain manufacturing dates and configuration information. Customer information may be included on the record. Order sheets are also available for many Model 21s. The order sheet data can round out the information from the final inspection records.
Model 21 factory letter fees are dependent upon order sheet availability. Factory letters for Model 21s with order sheets are $120 and $90 without (non-member rate). Learn more about firearms membership here.
Factory letters are typically completed and ready to mail about four weeks from payment receipt.
A note for Winchester Arms Collectors members…
Join the Center and get a bonus! Buffalo Bill Center of the West Firearms Members who are also Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) members may request a bonus 15-pack of serial number searches each year. Contact the Records Office with your WACA number to request the bonus. Visit winchestercollector.org to learn more about the club and WACA membership.
Ready to order your Winchester letter?
Have you checked the available serial numbers list to see if information is available on your Winchester?
You can either…
- Print an order form and mail it in with payment:
- Include an email address, if possible, for occasional updates on your order.
- Indicate your model and serial number in the appropriate place on the form.
- If you send the full fee by check ($75) and only the SNA records are available ($40), we will include a refund check in your factory letter packet.
- If mailing a check for a Model 21 letter, we suggest you contact the Records Office at 307-578-4031 or [email protected] to determine order sheet availability before sending it in. If the full fee is sent ($120) and order sheet information is not available, we will include a refund check ($30) in your factory letter packet.
- If records are not available for your Winchester we will notify you and return your check.
- Credit cards will be charged the appropriate fee. If records are not available, credit card information will be destroyed.
- Fill out the online order form below:
- If you do not see a confirmation message on the screen after clicking “Submit Order,” please scroll the form to make sure you have filled out all required fields then re-submit.
- Records Office staff will review your order and send a confirmation email with record availability and fee total within two business days of order form receipt (Monday – Friday).
- Within four days of order receipt, you should receive notice of your e-invoice in your e-mail via PayPal. If you do not see your PayPal invoice within 2 business days of order confirmation, contact the Records Office.
- Pay your invoice as soon as you are able.
- A PayPal account is not required to make payment on your invoice