Beyond Our Walls
It is often said of our namesake, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, that he brought the West to the world. Continuing that legacy, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West shares its own extraordinary object collection, exhibitions, and expertise beyond our walls with a national—and indeed international—audience.
From the loan of a few artifacts to complete traveling exhibitions, the Center takes the authentic stories of the American West on the road. We thank two museums in Georgia for hosting major exhibitions from the Center over the past winter. These objects are now on their way home to the Center of the West in advance of our own busy summer season.
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West also has objects from its collections in the following exhibitions:
Formal, Folk and Funky: Buffalo Bill in Art
Buffalo Bill Museum & Grave, Golden, Colorado
Through February 28, 2015
This exhibition includes works from our Buffalo Bill Museum and Whitney Western Art Museum.
Indians of the Plains, Art and Life in North America
Includes eight objects from our Plains Indian Museum and appears:
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri, September 2014 – February 2015
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York, April 2015 – June 2015
Harmless Hunter: The Wildlife Work of Charles M. Russell
Includes three works by Russell and appears:
- Rockwell Museum of Western Art, Corning, New York: September 19, 2014 – January 4, 2015
- Sam Noble Museum, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: January 31 – April 26, 2015
- Charles M. Russell Museum, Great Falls, Montana: May 16 – November 13, 2015
The Plains Indians: Artists of Earth and Sky
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri
September 19, 2014 – January 11, 2015
Includes a Lakota jacket, shirt, and bonnet from our Plains Indian Museum.
Scots in the American West: An Exhibition from the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
First appeared at the Center of the West, traveled to Ellis Island for National Tartan Day in April 2014, and next appears at:
- Campbell County Rockpile Museum, Gillette, Wyoming: opening in September 2014
The Art of Frederic Remington and Charles Russell from the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Longmont Museum & Cultural Center, Longmont, Colorado
November 2014 – April 2015
This exhibition includes fifty works from our Remington and Russell collections.