- This event has passed.
Holiday Open House
December 7, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm MST
Holiday Open House
Celebrates the season with the Buffalo Bill Center of the West at our annual Holiday Open House, a day filled with festive decorations, Santa Claus, and entertainment.
The Holiday Open House is free, but families attending are encouraged to share the holiday spirit by contributing to any of the following collection boxes at our entrances at the front door and at the south side entrance, which will be open for this busy day.
- Bring non-perishable food items; they will be distributed through Cody food pantries.
- Bring new, packaged toys; they will be distributed through Toys for Tots.
- Bring items for pets; they will go to the Park County Animal Shelter.
Local and regional groups perform for the crowds at our Holiday Open House, with entertainment running simultaneously in several venues. The diverse programs offer something for everyone: music by choruses, carolers, honor choirs, jazz bands, and barbershop quartets; dance in styles from ballet to modern, clogging to tap. All our performers generously volunteer their time and talent.
Here is this year’s schedule (subject to change). Blank time slots indicate a break.
- 10 AM: 40 Fabulous Fingers Piano Quartet
- 10:30 AM: 40 Fabulous Fingers Piano Quartet
- 11 AM: Alphabell Music Service
- 11:30 AM: Alphabell Music Service
- Noon: Brooks Robinson
- 12:30 PM: Sheets Family Music
- 1 PM: Sheets Family Music
- 1:30 PM: Sheets Family Music
- 2 PM:
- 2:30 PM: 40 Fabulous Fingers Piano Quartet
- 3 PM: 40 Fabulous Fingers Piano Quartet
- 3:30–5 PM:
Bunker Sands Gallery
- 10 AM: Absaroka Mountain Thunder Cloggers
- 10:30 AM:
- 11 AM: Cody Center for Performing Arts
- 11:30 AM:
- Noon: Absaroka Mountain Thunder Cloggers
- 12:30–2:30 PM:
- 2:30 PM: Sunlight Martial Arts
- 3 PM: Rocky Mountain School of the Arts
- 3:30 PM: Rocky Mountain School of the Arts
- 4–5 PM:
Plains Indian Museum
- 10 AM: Cody High School Jazz Band
- 10:30 AM: Cody Middle School Band – Cool Cougs
- 11 AM: Cody Community Choir
- 11:30 AM: Eastside Elementary Honor Choir
- Noon: Sunset Elementary Honor Choir
- 12:30 PM: Livingston Elementary School Honor Choir
- 1–3:30 PM:
- 3:30 PM: Cody Middle School – Jazzical
- 4–5 PM:
Mezzanine overlooking the Main Lobby: Cody United Methodist Church Chapel Bell Choir
McCracken Research Library Lobby: Yellowstone Harmony Chorus
Kuyper Dining Pavilion: piano music played on the Grand Steinway piano (made possible by a generous donation from the Cody Community Concert Association)
Visit with Santa
Santa Claus considers the Buffalo Bill Center of the West a very important stop in his preparations for Christmas each year. Children (of all ages!) can visit with Santa at the Holiday Open House and tell him their wishes for the holiday season. You’ll find Santa on the big tile map on the lower level of our Draper Natural History Museum.
The Cody Reading Council is always on hand near Santa to read favorite Christmas and holiday stories, so don’t worry! If that line to Santa is long, there will be plenty to entertain the children while they wait.
Draper Museum Raptor Experience
Several of the birds of our Raptor Experience also make their appearances at the Holiday Open House. This year, find them from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Breezeway on the way to the Cody Firearms Museum.
Print a Bookmark
Our resident printer, Volunteer Mike Parker, helps visitors print their own souvenir bookmark. Find Mike next to William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody’s printing press in the Buffalo Bill Museum.
Our Museum Store
Enjoy a storewide holiday sale—30 to 75 percent off*—at our Museum Store during the Holiday Open House!
*Some exclusions apply, and discounts cannot be combined.
Festive decorations not only greet visitors to the Holiday Open House, but through New Years to spread holiday cheer!
A sixteen-foot decorated Christmas tree graces the entrance to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West each year for the Holiday Open House.