Beyond Our Walls
It is often said of our namesake, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, that he brought the West to the world. Continuing that legacy, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West shares its own extraordinary object collection, exhibitions, and expertise beyond our walls with a national—and indeed international—audience.
From the loan of a few artifacts to complete traveling exhibitions, the Center of the West takes the authentic stories of the American West on the road. Here are some of the exhibitions around the country currently featuring objects from the Center.
Go West! Art of the American Frontier from the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
- October 22, 2016 – February 20, 2017: Palm Springs Art Museum, Palm Springs, California
- December 1, 2017 – March 11, 2018: Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Salt Lake City, Utah
Few aspects of American history have had a more lasting impact than the exploration and settlement of the western frontier. Go West! considers evolving notions of the American West through art—from the West’s earliest visual history to the creation of its powerful romantic legacy.
Invisible Boundaries: Exploring Yellowstone’s Great Animal Migrations
Very popular and well-received by visitors, the special exhibition Invisible Boundaries: Exploring Yellowstone’s Great Animal Migrations is on view here at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West through November. The exhibition has also been on view at the National Geographic Society in Washing, DC, where it closes on October 20, 2016.
Invisible Boundaries: Exploring Yellowstone’s Great Animal Migrations will travel to Yale University sometime in 2017 (watch for the dates).
Click here to find out more about this special exhibition.
Wyoming Grasslands: Photographs by Michael P. Berman and William S. Sutton
Grasslands continues to travel throughout Wyoming following its summer 2015 run at the Center of the West:
- October 1 –31: Lincoln County Library, Kemmerer
- November 16 – December 15: Sublette County Library, Pindale
For the following, the Center lends between 1 and 5 objects from its collection to augment the exhibition:
Buffalo Bill, the Pony Express, and the Wild West Show
- At the Pony Express Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri, through December 2016
Wild West Gallery
- At the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Fort Worth, Texas, through April 2017
Art in Embassies
- At the United States Embassy in Ashgabt, Turkmenistan, through November 30, 2017
The Artists of Taos
- At the Scottsdale Museum of the West in Scottsdale, Arizona, from January – April 2017
The Art and Artistry of the Plains Indian Communities
- At the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma, from January 12 – September 27, 2017
Once Upon a Time… The Western: Framing a New Frontier
- At the Denver Art Museum in Denver, Colorado, in fall 2017