Watch this space for more information on future exhibitions at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. We will add details as they become available.
Coming in 2015
Painted Journeys: The Art of John Mix Stanley
by the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
June 6, 2015 – August 29, 2015
This future exhibition features nearly sixty works, and debuts at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in June 2015.
Reviving the work of John Mix Stanley as a leading American artist, Painted Journeys: The Art of John Mix Stanley brings together, for the first time, works representing every aspect of his remarkable artistic career. A remarkable traveler and adventurer, Stanley helped shape our national identity and western legacy. Little-known today despite being one of the most important painters of American Indians in his day, Stanley was also an excellent portraitist. This exhibition draws from the Center’s own collection as well as those of other cultural institutions and private collectors.
Join us also for a special symposium on the exhibition’s public opening day, Saturday, June 6, 2015
- Stanley and Spectacle: the Itinerant Artist and Object in Mid-century America, presented by Dr. Emily C. Burns, Assistant Professor of Art History at Auburn University
- An Artist Explorer: Stanley’s Western Travels with the Government, presented by Peter H. Hassrick, Director Emeritus and Senior Scholar at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
- John Mix Stanley in Washington, presented by Dr. Lisa Strong, Director of Art and Museum Studies MA Program and Associate Professor of the Practice at Georgetown University
- The “Doomed Indian”—Stanley and American Perception, presented by Mindy N. Besaw, Curator of the Whitney Western Art Museum through December 31, 2014, then Curator at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
- A Peoples’ Voice: John Mix Stanley and the Figure of the Indian Orator, presented by Dr. Scott Manning Stevens, Native American Studies Director at Syracuse University
Following its run at the Center of the West, Painted Journeys: The Art of John Mix Stanley travels to:
- Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Oklahoma, October 1, 2015 – January 4, 2016
- Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, Washington, February 1, 2016 – April 29, 2016
Look forward to reading more about John Mix Stanley in next spring’s issue of Points West, the Center’s membership magazine.