- This event has passed.
Leather Belt Making Workshop
October 5, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm MDT
An event every day that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until October 6, 2021
Scout Saddle Shop Leather Belt Making Workshop
October 5 and 6, 2021
Join leather craftsmen Mark Barcus and Levi Nelson in the Buffalo Bill Center of the West’s Scout Saddle Shop as they guide you through the process of making your very own belt. Learn the art of choosing leather, stamping a design, and applying finishes to create a belt from start to finish.
$250 per person. All supplies and tools provided, as well as lunch on October 5.
This day-and-a-half long workshop is limited to four participants for individualized instruction. Register today!
October 5, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., lunch included
- Talk about patterns
- Cutting belt from the hide–where to cut and how the leather will react
- Explore tools–edger, creaser, and stamps
- Participants practice stamping their chosen stamp style
- Edge, crease, and stamp belt
- Oil belt so it can set 12 hours
October 6, 9 a.m. – noon
- Talk about colors and finishes
- Color application on belts
- Apply sealers and final finishes
- Set snaps and punch holes
Meet our craftsmen
Mark has been working with leather for more than 40 years. He has been a cowboy and used leather gear all of his life.
Mark has been teaching chap classes for the last 5 years and has many pattern packs and how-to DVDs for making chaps. He has been a judge at the Sheridan Leather Show for the last 5 years.
Levi moved back home to Wyoming when the opportunity opened up to work at the Center’s Scout Saddle Shop. He likes long walks on the beach, puppies, and huckleberry ice cream.
Click here to find out more about the Scout Saddle Shop…