The Buffalo Bill Center of the West has educational lending materials that schools can borrow. Please read through the guidelines and then browse below for information on available trunks.
Guidelines for Lending Materials
- Requests must be made at least three weeks prior to the requested date. Trunks are often booked out months in advance.
- Your request is not approved until you receive a confirmation email.
- Lending periods are two weeks. Longer periods will be considered with advanced notice.
- All shipping costs are the responsibility of the borrower. An invoice for shipping costs to your school is included with the trunk.
- If you are close to our museum, you may request to pick up the trunks in person to defray the cost of shipping.
Requesting a Trunk
Teachers can request materials using our online registration. If you have any problems with our online registration system, contact Christine Piazza at [email protected] or at (307) 578-4068.
SURVEY: After borrowing any of our lending materials, we invite you to return here to evaluate it in a short survey: Outreach Evaluation
Click on each image for a larger view of trunk contents.
Plains Indian Art Trunk
This trunk fosters an understanding and appreciation for the culture of Plains Indian people. Materials in the trunk include examples of traditional Plains Indian arts such as: bead work; quill work; and painted objects. This trunk includes a teacher’s guide.
Weight: 51 lbs. Size: 30 x 15 x 15 inches
We are currently working on revising our Plans Indian Art Trunk curriculum. Please check back soon!
Music and dance have long been central to American Indian cultures. Today’s powwow is a celebration of that heritage. Learn about powwows in their present form and the history behind them with a video, dance outfits, musical instruments, accessories, and a teacher’s guide.
Weight: 56 lbs. Size: 32.5 x 20.5 x 19 inches
Trappers, Traders, and Trailblazers: Mountain Men in the Rocky Mountain West Trunk
Mountain men: rugged individuals who traveled, explored, and lived in the Rocky Mountains, searching for valuable animal pelts. This trunk contains tools and equipment characteristic of mountain men. It also includes classroom activities, games, and a teacher’s guide.
Weight: 91 lbs. Size: 52.5 x 19 x 19 inches
Gray Wolf Natural History Trunk
This trunk explores the gray wolf’s biology, controversy, and management. The trunk contains a wolf pelt, skulls, tracks, and other current resources and fun activities! This trunk includes a teacher’s guide for grades 1–8.
Weight: 54 lbs. Size: 29 x 21 x 13 inches