Family activities at the Center of the West
At the Buffalo Bill Center of the West we know how to have fun with a variety of family programs! For more information on future family-friendly programs and activities, e-mail Alex Martin or call her at 307-578-4028.
Summer Workshops and Family Activities
Summer brings workshops designed specifically for kids! Here’s the list for summer 2023:
For more information, and to register for these workshops, visit tickets.centerofthewest.org.
- Western Food & Games (K – 2nd graders), June 12 – 14
- MuseSTEM (3rd – 5th graders), June 19 – 22
- Animals of the West (K – 2nd graders), June 26 – 29
- The Great Outdoor Adventure (4th – 7th graders), July 10 – 13 or July 17 – 20 (register for one session only)
- Little Aspiring Artists (ages 4 – 5), July 17, 19, 21
- Colorful Creations (K – 2nd graders), July 24 – 27
- Colorful Creations (3rd – 5th graders), July 17 – 20
- Sensory Adventures (ages 4 – 5), Touch-July 7, Sound-July 14, Smell & Sight-July 28
Looking for fun and educational activities you can do from home? Come explore the alpine habitat of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem using this new and engaging interactive! Learn about this special habitat and the amazing animals that live there with 360 photos, immersive videos, activities, and content. This resource is perfect for students, teachers, and families! And, teachers—all content is standards and inquiry based with built in assessment tools.
Educator Megan Smith took viewers on the 360 Adventure of the Alpine Habitat through a Live Skype in the Classroom event! Click here to watch the video.
Family Fun Days
Family Fun Days, supported in part through a generous grant from the R. Harold Burton Foundation, generally take place in October, November, and January.
Family Fun Days are supported in part by the R. Harold Burton Foundation.
The cure for cabin fever for the kids during the winter! Our art-themed workshops generally take place in February and March. Next winter we will post them here.
Educational programs are made possible in part through a generous grant from the R. Harold Burton Foundation.
Looking for some fun arts and crafts projects for the kids?
Check out these step-by-step instructions of several projects and share these activities with your family.
- Happy Trails to You: Western Music Arts and Crafts
- The West and You Arts and Crafts
- Western Arts and Crafts
- Wild Wonderland: Yellowstone Arts and Crafts
- Nature Arts and Crafts
- How the West Was Fun: Frontier Arts and Crafts
- Wild Things: Wildlife Animal Arts and Crafts
- Cowboy’s Life is the Life for Me: Cowboy and Cowgirl Arts and Crafts
Take a look at some past activities:
We’ve had a ton of fun at our summer family fun days. Click here to visit our Family Fun Day photo album on Facebook.
At one Family Fun Day, we enjoyed family activities all about food! Attendees learned Dutch oven cooking basics from “Cookie” Ron Reed, took turns at the hand crank to make ice cream, learned the art of cake decorating, and planned out a menu for Buffalo Bill’s Wild West. Some of our guests even shared their favorite family recipes: CLICK HERE to download our “Tasty Traditions Family Recipes” booklet
At another of our Family Fun Fridays, Where’s Stanley at the Museum? kids had a great time with an activity that combined elements of the well-known book series Where’s Waldo and Flat Stanley.
CLICK HERE to check out some of stories and pictures they created, and download an activity to do yourself!
For more information on our family programs, e-mail Emily Buckles or call 307-578-4110.
To find out about other upcoming events at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, click here.