- This event has passed.
Talk: Bob Richard, History of Husky Oil
February 17 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm MST
The History of the Husky Oil Company of Cody, Wyoming
A free talk by Bob Richard
Thursday, February 17, 2022
Join us for the February presentation in our “Local Lore with Bob Richard” series of free talks hosted by our McCracken Research Library.
At noon on February 17, Bob discusses the history of Husky Oil Company. Husky Oil was started by Glenn Nielson, who, along with his wife Olive was a major donor and benefactor for the community of Cody, Wyoming. Bob shares many stories about both the company and the legacy of Glenn and the Nielson family in this illustrated talk.
With a wealth of knowledge about the Cody and Yellowstone National Park areas, Bob has a lifetime of stories to share with future generations. The “Local Lore with Bob Richard” series continues monthly throughout the year.
The talks in this series are gathered in this YouTube playlist.
About the speaker
A lifelong Wyoming resident, Richard’s varied experiences are pure West. He worked at guest ranches, guided horse and hunting trips, ranched, and for 37 years owned and operated Grub Steak Expeditions, personally touring thousands of visitors from around the world through Yellowstone and its ecosystem.
Educated at the Universities of Wyoming, Arizona, and California (Fresno), Richard has served as a teacher and school administrator, a decorated United States Marine Corps pilot in Vietnam, and, for 21 years, helped coordinate American Red Cross service and relief activities in the western United States.
Upcoming Local Lore talks
• March 17: Early Day Photographs by Ned Frost
• April 21: Jack Richard’s Last Float of the Bighorn Canyon
• May 12: Buffalo Bill Burial Story (Margie and Mike Johnson join Bob)
• June 9: Tour of Yellowstone with Aubrey Haines (John Lounsbury joins Bob)
• July 21: Cody / Yellowstone: 150 Years
• August 18: The Most Scenic 72 Miles: The Road to Yellowstone
• September 15: The Heart Mountain Internment Camp Story
• October 20: The History of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West
• November 17: Women in the Early Days and Other Old-Timers
• December 15: Sunlight / Crandall Country